19/6/09

Just say NO

Letter sent to the Editor on January 15, 2001,
"I have problems with sleeping. I have pain in my legs, my arms and in my muscles, I'm sure it's related to my service in the Balkans," these are words of a European 20-year army veteran. He is one of a growing number of Balkan veterans who fear they are at risk from cancer and other ailments, possibly due to exposure to ammunition containing depleted uraniumDepleted uranium, a slightly radioactive heavy metal, is used in anti-armor munitions because of its penetrating power. U.S. forces fired weapons containing depleted uranium in Bosnia in 1994, 1995 and in 1999. NATO fired such weapons during its bombing of Yugoslavia. It reminds me of the Gulf War (chemicals) scandal. The U.S. and NATO officials have shown once again that they will stop at nothing unless their interests get satisfied. The so-called New World Order (similar to wrestling) has made it clear that any country that disagrees with the U.S. or NATO will get punished at any cost. The U.S. has deliberately diminished the role of the United Nations and took control of the International Court. The decisions are not based on the International Law and the Human Rights Resolutions and that's why countries such as Turkey and Israel which are every year on the Top List of Human Rights violations, never get punishment. I will ask you this: The next time a U.S. official says to you, we have to bomb them because they are bad terrorist, ugly countries, just say NO. Let the United Nations decide. Be sure that you have made the right decision and saved the lives of many people who probably will be again the victims of their new chemical experiment.
Michael Pouros (Cyprus resident, CMU alumnus, 1998, 2000)

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: